Powered By Blogger

Friday 8 May 2015

Tam David-West: Why I Won’t Reject Buhari’s Ministerial Slot Offer

Professor of Virology, Tam David-West,
has said he would not reject an offer of a
ministerial appointment as Minister of
Petroleum from the President-elect, General
Muhammadu Buhari.
David-West, who was recently mentioned
as the man the president-elect is interested
in handling the petroleum portfolio, told
Daily Sun in a telephone interview that he
would not turn down anything given to
him by Buhari.
“Let the appointment be made first. I will
not turn down anything Buhari gives me
because I know him that he can turn Nigeria
around.
“So, anything that I can contribute to his
Nigeria project, I will do it by the grace of
God, because anything I do, God directs
me. And if it is the will of God, of course, He
will give me the strength. But anything that
can help Buhari in his Nigeria project, I can
do it by the grace of God,” David-West said.
David-West, who will be 79 on August 26,
was taken up on the issue of generational
shift, but responded swiftly, saying: “They
should shut up. Age has nothing to do with
capability. I give you a good example: the
President of Tunisia is now close to 90
years old. He defeated an 80-year-old in the
election. Mugabe is 91 years old. It is the
capability that matters, not age.”
“Jonathan is younger than Buhari. Has he
done better than Buhari? In spite of the fact
that Jonathan is younger, Nigerians said
Buhari can do better. Age has nothing to do
with it.”
Asked what advice he has for President
Goodluck Jonathan as he prepares to leave
office, David-West said: “When he was in
office, did he listen to me? Is it now that he
will listen to me? He never took my advice,
and I told him that some of the people
surrounding you are sycophants and they
will leave you. And now, he is regretting. I
have no advice for him. He should advise
himself.”
He thanked God that Nigerians voted
massively for Buhari, saying Nigerians
would experience change soon.
“The message I have for Nigerians is that
our expectation is high because of the
mess. And it is justified. My message is that
Buhari is not a magician. Nigerians should
not expect magic or miracle. Buhari is not a
magician, he is not a miracle worker; but
they should give him time. They should be
patient. But I am confident that he will turn
this country around. There will be far great
difference within six months,” David-West
declared.

No comments:

Post a Comment