Powered By Blogger

Sunday 20 March 2016

How Ibinabo Fiberesima’ Refusal To Tender Public Apology Sent Her To Kirikiri Prison – Giwa Sister

Biola Giwa Adeyemi, the only sister of late Giwa, a senior
tax consultant/CPR Instructor in the United States of
America has narrated how pride turned Ibinabo into a
prisoner.
Hear her:
“People said I am jealous of Ibinabo Fiberesima. Why will I
be jealous for goodness sake? I was in my 40s then and
now I am in my 50s. I have been living in the US for 33-34
years.
Why will I be jealous when I didn’t even know who the hell
she was? And it is not like our family is poor. We are okay!
We are doing very fine. We don’t need money from anyone.
It came to a point when they brought her over to apologize.
She came over to apologize and to ask that we drop the
charges against her. So I said okay. Why don’t you do this
– why don’t you go ahead and apologize publicly to the
masses and to the family?
It was during that time we were told that she had an
accident in Port Harcourt a couple of weeks before
smashing into my brother’s car. They covered up the Port
Harcourt accident. They covered that one up because it
happened in Port Harcourt. I told her – apologize publicly
to the masses and the family. Tell them that you are truly
sorry so that they will know you are really remorseful.
After then, we can sort this out.
She told me right there, “Oh I am so sorry I can’t do that
because it’s going to damage my career. I said, what? My
husband was there. I swear to God Almighty. The people
that came with her were not with us when she made that
statement. I was at GRA Ikeja and my husband was there.
So I looked at her and said, ‘so your career is more
important than a human being. Now she can remember to
say Nigeria, pray for me. Back then, she could not say
Nigeria, I am sorry. Her ego is what is bringing her down.”
During those early days after the accident, we endured a
lot of pressure from even a prominent traditional ruler, who
pushed to get the case dropped. But she remained resolute
and told the royal father:
“Excuse me, Sir, where we come from, we don’t tamper
with justice. Let’s leave the government to do their work.
It is not between us and her. It is between her and the
government. Whatever happens, it should be left for the
government to decide. Not us.”
And true to her position, the Lagos State Government
faithfully pursued the case and got a conviction in the
court, setting the stage for Ibinabo Fiberesima to find an
abode in the prison for five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment