Powered By Blogger

Sunday 28 June 2015

My Arrest Brought Me Fame – Gani Adams

The national coordinator of the Odua
Peoples Congress (OPC), Gani Adams, has
revealed that his arrest by the Nigerian
police brought him fame.
Adams explained that his arrest and treatment by
the Nigerian police during the Olusegun Obasanjo
presidency brought him to the national limelight.
My Arrest Brought Me Fame – Gani Adams
Gani Adams
“I thank the then Lagos State Commissioner of
Police, Mike Okiro, for declaring me wanted and
subsequent arrest, because it turned out to be a
blessing for me,” the group leader told reporters.
READ ALSO: APC Crisis: The Party Was Not
Prepared For Victory – Former Party
Chairman
He said this at his Lagos home and explained that
he was hiding from the police for long and had to
turn himself in.
The 45-year-old OPC leader said that he felt the
only reason he was arrested was for fighting for
the interests of Yorubas which made the
administration uncomfortable.
He then compared his imprisonment with that of
Obafemi Awolowo, Wole Soyinka, and Nelson
Mandela.
READ ALSO: Jega Explains His Only Regret
Adams, who was a major supporter of President
Goodluck Jonathan’s administration in the South
West, said he has forgiven everyone who
contributed to his persecution, as well as those
who abandoned him when the road was rough.
“I faced persecution for no just cause. I was
detained in number of police stations, and prisons
across the country, just because I believe in the
rights of the people, and need to fight for the
rights.
“But I must say this, I don’t have anything against
all those who contributed to the persecution.
Your worst enemy may become your best
friends. How many people am I going to fight. I
have to give thanks to God and Okiro who God
used to turn my story for better.”
Gani Adams was talking about his arrest in 2001,
after the police had declared him wanted for over
a year and half.
He was wanted for the alleged murder of Afolabi
Amao, a divisional police officer of the Bariga
police station in Lagos and also accused of
orchestrating a series of violent ethnic clashes in
the south-west.

No comments:

Post a Comment